John Shultz

John was born and raised in Dundalk MD, in 1941. He talks about his life growing up in Dundalk.


INTERVIEWER: Now, uh, When were you born?


INTERVIEWER: And you’re, you’re Edward Bachman.


INTERVIEWER: And your, do you have a middle initial?



EDWARD BACHMAN: That was my dad’s name.

INTERVIEWER: OK. And, uh, Tell me a little bit about your family that you grew up in.


INTERVIEWER: What year was that?


INTERVIEWER: And the month?

EDWARD BACHMAN: April 10th. And uh– I was, I was born here in the house that I’m living in now.

INTERVIEWER: And how many years ago is that?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, ever since 1916.

INTERVIEWER: 92 years?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yep, 92 years. And uh, our parents lived here, from 1912 on. They bought the place here from my grandfather. He built, he built all the buildings that is here. And then when he sold here, why he move, he built a home in Hanover. And so, I’m here all my life in the same house. So, uh.

INTERVIEWER: And how many, how many brothers and sisters?

EDWARD BACHMAN: I’ve got, I have one brother deceased, and my sister’s deceased. I’m the only one left of the family.

INTERVIEWER: And how many children were there altogether?

EDWARD BACHMAN: There was three of us.

INTERVIEWER: Three of you.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. And, uh. So. That–

INTERVIEWER: Where you the oldest?

EDWARD BACHMAN: I was the youngest.

INTERVIEWER: The youngest.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. I was the youngest. My sister’s the oldest.

INTERVIEWER: Now you went– tell me a little bit about your area here, what were the roads like back then?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Roads? Well, they were dirt roads, Old wagon trails, you might have saw they called em. When it rained they got muddy and made ruts in em that you couldn’t hardly get through. And that’s the way had to travel in and out till say up in the 50’s, till they made a state route in here. And that was– we have to maintain our own roads at this end of the county because the county never got here. My, my oldest son was going to school before they ever plowed snow in this section. He was a, that was, let’s see, he was born in ’40. It was around 1950 before they ever started to– they plowed the road off of snow here. We kept our roads open with our own equipment and made snow plows and tractors, and that’s how you got out, So, uh, that’s how– how they maintained ourselves here and we have to shovel out still sometimes the snow is that deep you had to walk a mile to get home from work. And, uh. So, uh.

INTERVIEWER: What kind of work was around you? Where did they go, for work?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, working from here we went to Hanover mostly. Yeah. Well, I had worked in Hanover. I was with Krauser’s at the time. That, that was, I was working in there already.

INTERVIEWER: And what kind of company is that?

EDWARD BACHMAN: It was a planing mill. We made, we made church pews and anything at all. And we made all the furniture for W L Stoner store, when he built the new store. And, uh. Churches, we made church pews for churches. I helped remodel the one up in Gettysburg, and made new pews for that one where Lincoln was in. We even had the Lincoln bench down at our shop, with the plaques on it. Yep.

INTERVIEWER: Tell us about what you did for the courthouse in Carroll county.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, I made all the windows and doors for the courthouse in Carroll County. That was at Ivan Dunner’s that I was working at Architectural Millwork downtown.

INTERVIEWER: And where’s, where were they?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Right in here off of Baltimore Pike at End Street, right across from Mount Olive Cemetery, down to the right, in between the pike. That’s where their mill was.

INTERVIEWER: So you made all the, all the windows and doors.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yep. Yep. That’s what I did for the courthouse in Westminster. And then we had done a lot of church pews for different churches all around. Sometimes I never knew where they all went to.

INTERVIEWER: Uh, tell me a little bit about, a, your uh, your wife’s in-laws, your wife’s uh, folks. How did they come here, where did they come from?


INTERVIEWER: Her maiden name is–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Warner. My wife’s name is Pearl Warner. Pearl Irene. And she grew up down in Marburg, about where the Marburg Lake is down, they call it Codorus now, and where Glatfelter’s built that big lake. Their farm where the lived on was the first one that Glatfelter’s bought. 200 acre farm that they lived on.

INTERVIEWER: Can you tell me a little bit about the meeting house, that uh, you had?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, at the Wynn’s meeting house?


EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. Well, that was formed by my mother’s side of the relations, from what would have been cousins of hers, that built the meeting house over here. And as far as that, she was born just a mile from here, down, well they call it Bangor Road now. That’s where she was born. And that’s where, that’s where they have this [INAUDIBLE] where I was telling you about, on the same place yet, and it’s still standing.

INTERVIEWER: Uh, how, when was that meeting house built? Do you remember about? Just about.

EDWARD BACHMAN: It was 1877 I think.

INTERVIEWER: 18– and it’s– it’s still?

EDWARD BACHMAN: It’s still in operation yet.

INTERVIEWER: How far is it from your house?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, from here I would say to go around the road it would be about four mile.

INTERVIEWER: About four miles.

EDWARD BACHMAN: It’s all the same. Bartholomew’s Road from Impounding Dam to the Grand Valley Road.

INTERVIEWER: And you still use it?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. This winter they put a, remodeled the whole floor in it. It was getting saggy a little bit at some places, so they put new timber underneath, and put the floor back down again.

INTERVIEWER: How is it heated?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Tin plate stoves.

INTERVIEWER: Uh-huh. And they’re the same stoves?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Same stoves are still sitting in it, and they still got the organ yet. Here years ago, we had a feller came out and fixed it and had it playing. Yeah. And, uh.

INTERVIEWER: So that’s the same organ?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. That’s the same organ that was in ever since I know the meeting house.

INTERVIEWER: And tell me a little bit about your school, and the issue with the bus and so on.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, the schooling. Well, I went to Deep Run school all my school years. And, uh.

INTERVIEWER: How– what grade did that go up to?

EDWARD BACHMAN: That went to seventh grade.

INTERVIEWER: Seventh grade.

EDWARD BACHMAN: And, uh Then two of my children went over there. They, they were bused there a little. But then they closed the school and sent them all to Manchester. And they still had to have better than a mile to get to the bus.

INTERVIEWER: Now how many children did you and your wife have?

EDWARD BACHMAN: We had eleven all together.

INTERVIEWER: And how many, how many boys?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, it was four boys and seven girls. Yep. Four boys and seven girls. Then of course, when, when they had run the buses and closed the school, then I got after the bus route and the school board.

INTERVIEWER: Now tell me about that. How did that start? You had to– they wouldn’t come down here?

EDWARD BACHMAN: They wouldn’t go this road here past, and make the circle to go up the other road. So I had to go to the school board. And of course the superintendent out there wanted to give me a hard time. So I gave him a harder time.

INTERVIEWER: Who was it?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Jennings. Of course, when I told him that I’m going to get a petition signed by the neighbors that I saw before I came to see him, then he changed his tune, and started talking like a man to me. And of course, then they run the buses here. They said they run the bus as long as it’s fit for a bus to go. And I said well if ain’ fit for a bus, it ain’t fit for my kids to walk. So I just kept em home three days. And then they started– the county started hauling stone in.


EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, like I told him out there, I said you’re paid– you’re getting paid with our tax money– and so is the county. And there is no reason we don’t have a road, cause this was a county road before the one was back there. This was a county road ever since the house was built here. That back there just got on the county about seven years before they run the buses on it. That, that’s the way it was up at this end here. We were lost up here. Ha ha.

INTERVIEWER: Now tell me a little bit about– now you, you got– where did you get your diploma and graduate. Where was that?

EDWARD BACHMAN: At the Arm– at the Armory in Westminster.

INTERVIEWER: At the old Armory?

EDWARD BACHMAN: The old Armory, yeah.

INTERVIEWER: What was that like, how many kids were there with you?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, it was only four of us.

INTERVIEWER: Four of you.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Four of us that went out. Our teacher taking us out.

INTERVIEWER: Who was your teacher?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Ruth [INAUDIBLE] from down at Silver Run. And, uh. She’d taken us out at that time. It was two girls and two boys. It was John Frock and myself, and uh, Ruth, Trish, and let’s see, what was the other’s name. Louise. Louise, I can’t think of the last name just now.


EDWARD BACHMAN: So the teacher taking us out there and that’s how we–

INTERVIEWER: How, how did you get there? Did you drive? Did she drive you? or uh?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. She drove out. , Well, my dad would take me out. But she would take the girls from the school out. She’d taken the girls out and John Frock.

INTERVIEWER: What kind of a car did your dad have at the time?

EDWARD BACHMAN: ’27 Chevy. And the teacher, she had a ’29 Chevy. Yeah. So, uh. Well, you, then, well, at that time they had Kridler’s school down here at this school. And [INAUDIBLE] school was up there, because the two girls was from [INAUDIBLE]. They were from [INAUDIBLE] school. [INAUDIBLE] school closed, and Kridler’s closed. And they were down here. And then, after I was through school, then they closed [INAUDIBLE] school over here and take them over yet. So, uh, that’s the way the school business went.

INTERVIEWER: You, and how far did you have to walk to Deep Run School then?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. That’s the only way we got there.

INTERVIEWER: How far is that?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, about a mile and a half.

INTERVIEWER: I imagine that was pretty tough in the wintertime.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, at that time you didn’t mind getting out and going in the rough weather. Snow or ice, or whatever, you had galoshes and you stomped through it.

INTERVIEWER: Did you make it to school most days then?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Pretty well, yeah. Not unless we were sick and our parents kept us home. But I made pretty well of my time in school.

INTERVIEWER: Now you uh, you worked at what, 1939, what did you do from 1939, you said, to ’43?

EDWARD BACHMAN: I worked at the watershed down here. At the water company. We mowed. We mowed between the pine trees that was planted. And I helped to plant pine trees from 1933 to ’49.

INTERVIEWER: And there were how many, about 80 of you?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, there was a time when we had that large amount of trees to plant, that 125,000 trees. About 80 kids got together and planted. They brought them out from Hanover. And, uh, they planted. And then every boy around here wanted to get a little early money, why he went and planted trees. That was the first money you got for the spring of the year.

INTERVIEWER: What did you use to cut the grass with?


INTERVIEWER: Can you describe how you use them? Can you tell me?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, you have, have to go through the– your body motion is what done that. You, it was a scythe, and you had a blade on the end of it. One of them crooked handles, two handles. I still got the wet stone, still back, laying back here from it

INTERVIEWER: And how far is the watershed from your house?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Oh. It’s a mile out from here on the road across to it. But at the back, behind here, it comes within a quarter mile. Up the bottom back here it comes within about 200 yards of my, my property line.

INTERVIEWER: And what road is this right here?


INTERVIEWER: What– what, I’m sorry. What road is this right here?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Road. Band Hall Hill Road.

INTERVIEWER: Uh-huh. And, uh, how– so you’re pretty close to the Pennsylvania line then?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Within a mile.

INTERVIEWER: Within a mile. And how far are you from Manchester?

EDWARD BACHMAN: About eleven miles from Manchester, and about 12 miles from Westminster.


EDWARD BACHMAN: About, about eight. I’d call it a square. They figured it’s about a square. And, uh. You take it, uh, about uh, Yeah, well, when the horse and buggy was– we made about eight mile, and going down Impounding Dam, then hit Beck Mill Road go in.

INTERVIEWER: Horse and buggy.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Horse and buggy. Taking us about two hours, cause they figure a horse travels about, walks about, four mile an hour. So we went in Beck Mill Road. And at the end of Beck Mill Road, in there when you got into Hanover, was this brick yard before I got to Grandma’s place.

INTERVIEWER: Now, , you did some other work, too, with a cannery. Where was that?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, I had worked at [INAUDIBLE] tomato factory over here, before I went to the watershed. That was in the ’30s.

INTERVIEWER: And where is that?

EDWARD BACHMAN: That was over here on Geeting Road.

INTERVIEWER: Was that in Carroll County?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. That’s in Carroll County. Yeah. They had a tomato factory over there that we worked at.

INTERVIEWER: And what did you do there?

EDWARD BACHMAN: I Scald the tomatoes. I’d scald the tomatoes and carry them around to the table where the women was setting them in deep pans.

INTERVIEWER: Now, when you were growing up, how big was your farm here?


INTERVIEWER: Acres. And how did you, what was it like during the depression? How did you– was it hard on you, or did you manage to get through it?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, we managed to get through it because you raised a lot of our stuff ourselves. And Mom, Mom cured a lot of stuff. At one time she had around 1,000 jars of, quart jars of the stuff sitting in the cellar for us to eat off of during the winter. And that’s the way my wife did too. She used to have the same jars she always loaded down in the cellar.

INTERVIEWER: I noticed you still have a wood, wood cook stove. How long ago, when did you kind of stop using that?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, I stopped using that well, we had used it several times when my wife was around, but not too often. I’d say maybe 10 years ago we stopped using the wood stoves.

INTERVIEWER: So this is–

EDWARD BACHMAN: At that time when I put the furnace in, oil was $0.19.

INTERVIEWER: $0.19 a gallon.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. And there ain’t no reason that it is where it is today. Ha ha.

INTERVIEWER: You had that– talk about that machine you invented with your brother.

EDWARD BACHMAN: A bean hauler. Well, that, the old people, well you know there’s, a lot of soup beans they plant for over the winter. And them get– got so dry and hard they pert near prick your fingers when you haul them. So we made this machine so we could haul them without pricking our fingers. I know David Solomon over here, Eddie Geiman had the farm next to him. And, you know beans will blossom again after they’re picked the last time. So he had a field of beans over there. And they blossomed the last time and got beans on. And then they got dry and hard you know. And he had six bags he brought over here we hauled one time. Soup, soup beans that was, well, it was regular beans you know. But the one’s he had was dark, because the string bean is a dark bean. And the soup bean was a white bean. But when they’re dry and hard, why they’re about the same.

INTERVIEWER: The uh– Tell me about what you used, I think it was in the tractor you used gas a little bit. And then you used something else.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, you use coal oil to start the tractor. And then after you got the motor a little warm, then you switched over to coal oil.

INTERVIEWER: You start it with gas.

EDWARD BACHMAN: You start it with gas, yeah. You cranked it. Then you switched over to coal oil.

INTERVIEWER: The reason– why would, why did you use the gas first. What–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, you see that exploded, you know coal, where coal oil wouldn’t. Coal oil– the manifold on the tractor was set for heat. And that heated the coal oil before it went through to the muffler, you know, to the spark plugs.

INTERVIEWER: What kind of a tractor? Was it a tractor on–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah 10-20 McCormick-Deering.

INTERVIEWER: Was it– what kind of wheels were on it?


INTERVIEWER: All steel wheels.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. The front, the front wheels on my brother’s tractor, they sort of got bad so he bought rims, and he got them welded on. Put, put tires on the front then. But they came with steel that, um–

INTERVIEWER: Tell me a little bit about when, when you were a boy. You said you played a certain kind of game with the neighborhood kids.

EDWARD BACHMAN: We had what they called corner ball, at this– we used to go back here to the neighbors on the farm and play.

INTERVIEWER: And can you describe how you play it?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, they made four corners. Four, four people stood on four corners in the barnyard. And then the other side that we were playing against has two in the middle. And you pass the ball around till it got to three. Then you got the chance to throw at somebody in the middle. And if you hit them, they were out and somebody else got to come in.

INTERVIEWER: And you played that at sales too? You keep yourself–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. That used to be a big thing at public sales. Yeah. There, they used to play a lot still at public sales.

INTERVIEWER: Now your– is it your second cousin who was an auctioneer now, is it–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, it– it was, it was my first cousin’s son.

INTERVIEWER: Your first cousin’s son. And his name is?


INTERVIEWER: And he still has the auction?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Oh, Yeah. He does it. But he does all the hay auctions out at the auction barn out at, out at, there at New Windsor or wherever they have it down in metro He does all the hay auctions every, every week. And then he has a lot of the auctions still at the farm museum. And then he has his consignment sale here, which is about 10 acres. Ha ha. All kind of stuff. Whatever you ain’t got, you can go to that sale and buy.

INTERVIEWER: Let me ask you this. You said, I asked you if there were any problems in the neighborhood. And you said there were some interesting things that happened here across the road there. What was that? A still or–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Oh, yeah. Well , they used to have a moonshine still set up at different places around. So that was one of the things they slipped in against the law.

INTERVIEWER: And who– who– do you know who ran that at the time.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, whoever lived at the place. Yeah. I ain’t mentioning no names on it. But they had one back here at our bottom, down at the lower end on the [INAUDIBLE] farm. Back here on Krider’s Schoolhouse Road, there’s one at that farm.

INTERVIEWER: Did they ever get uh, raided or anything?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, they had somebody higher up that tipped them off.

INTERVIEWER: Oh, is that right?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. The fella down here, he had a fellow from Hanover that tipped, that tipped him off, a detective. The same way it went with the other guy. And they had some higher ups that liked moonshine, too. That would tip them off. Yeah. Yeah. That’s the way life went.

INTERVIEWER: Now your family, right now are your brothers and sisters all living?

EDWARD BACHMAN: No they’re all gone.

INTERVIEWER: All of them are gone.

EDWARD BACHMAN: All of them are gone. I’m the only one left in the family.

INTERVIEWER: I’m sorry, I didn’t mean your brothers and sisters, but your children

EDWARD BACHMAN: My children’s all living.

INTERVIEWER: They’re all living.

EDWARD BACHMAN: We had them all at home here for my 91– for my 92nd birthday. We had them all around at the table.

INTERVIEWER: Around the table. How many, how many was there?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, it was, uh, I think, well, some of the women wasn’t along, but the one’s that came from far. But it was 19 of us.

INTERVIEWER: 19. And how many, how many grandchildren do you have?

EDWARD BACHMAN: You know, I can’t exactly say. I know it’s passed to 24.

INTERVIEWER: And great-grandchildren, I suppose.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Oh, yeah. I guess it’s around 15 or down there

INTERVIEWER: Do you have great-great-grandchildren?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, I guess everything goes along. Ha ha. No. I didn’t have no count lately on what the great grandchildren are, and great, great. But I know some of the grandchildren is got children so–

INTERVIEWER: And so, your farm was basically a truck farm. Like vegetables.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. Raspberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. We picked and sold in Hanover.

INTERVIEWER: And did you, what did you say grew, you raised beef or pork. or–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. We used to raise hogs still, and sell.

INTERVIEWER: And did you butcher them and–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. We butchered, always two for ourselves, for our family. We butchered two of them. But we’d always raise four. And then the two we raised for Mom, she’d sell to the butcher. INTERVIEWER: And where was that?

EDWARD BACHMAN: The– well over here at Garvey’s they done butcher. And they bought a lot of our hogs.

INTERVIEWER: And where, where was that? Garvey’s?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Garvey’s. Right over here at Maryland line. About a mile away from me.

INTERVIEWER: Oh. Yeah. And where did, where did you sell your vegetables?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Hanover. We’d peddle on the street. We’d go around the streets, you know, and peddle.

INTERVIEWER: Did you have a wagon, or–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, we’d peddle out of the car, out the car. In the last years, when my dad had it, why we used to go in daytime and peddle, Well, at that time a lot of the women was home, you know. They didn’t work. But take the last years here that my wife and I had it, we could do more from 4 o’clock to 9:00, than what we did in the whole day, in daytime, in peddling.

INTERVIEWER: You mean right here?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. No, no, in Hanover, because after 4 o’clock the women came home from work. But then, then you had– go on, you could go on– and they knew what they wanted. And uh, we could do more. It wasn’t often to go in here with eight crates of berries, and get rid of em till 9 o’clock.

INTERVIEWER: And how did you sell them, by the–

EDWARD BACHMAN: By the quart.

INTERVIEWER: Quart. And what, what were they priced at then?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, sometimes we had to sell three boxes for a quarter to get rid of em.

INTERVIEWER: Three boxes for a quarter.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. At that time things wasn’t high. If you got $0.15 a box you were getting good.

INTERVIEWER: Let’s talk a little bit about prices. What other prices do you remember from that time? What was your gas? What did your gas cost, it was, you said–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well. I bought gas from a farmer down where my brother lived at $0.10 a gallon. Then from there, it’s 12, 15, 20. It kept on going up like that. I know in, at right in there, where Forest Park was, was a fellow. Well, he was a neighbor from down here. And he had a gas station there. I was getting it there for around $0.19 and $0.20. That was about the average, all I drove.

INTERVIEWER: Did you have a dairy cow that had milk, too?

EDWARD BACHMAN: We had our own cow here. We had our own milk. Yeah.

INTERVIEWER: I suppose milk wasn’t very expensive then either.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, in winter time, if we run out, we can go to a neighbor and get it for $0.06 a quart.

INTERVIEWER: Oh. $0.06 a quart. Yeah. It’s lots more expensive now.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Oh, my yes. You, you can’t even get a drink, a glass for that price. But, I’ll tell you. It was time for the milk market to get up a little bit, because, I’ll tell you, to have cows, and feed your crop into them cows, you didn’t make much profit, because $11.00 a 100 for milk, that’s all the farmers got. $11.00 a 100.

INTERVIEWER: And this was– what year was this about, would you say?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, back in the ’30s and ’40s.

INTERVIEWER: ’30s and ’40s.

EDWARD BACHMAN: And even up, up in the ’50s, they didn’t have no price on milk where you know, the farmer could make much out of it. But to take 100 pound a milk, look how many gallons is in that.

INTERVIEWER: How many gallons is in a hundred pounds.

EDWARD BACHMAN: It’s eight pounds to the gallon. Eight twelves is 96. So you got twelve gallon a milk.

INTERVIEWER: And how much?



EDWARD BACHMAN: $11.00 or $12.00, some a little more. But when I was younger, they had the creamery down here at the store. Then the farmers would haul their milk down there and they’d separate it. Take the cream, then the farmer can bring his, his milk back and feed to his hogs. And then later on, and when [INAUDIBLE] taking the store over there and he hauled the milk all the way in to Hanover to a creamery in Hanover, a big creamery. They owned Poplar Street, and then they shipped by railroad then.

INTERVIEWER: Uh. What are the most interesting places you’ve gone to in Carroll County? Have you– do you remember, as a kid with your dad?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, we didn’t do too much traveling. If we got to Westminster, why that was pert near the far as we got. You take it far as going to Carroll County. I was, I was got more in Pennsylvania than what I’ve got in Carroll County, because right here at the line, and most of the relatives is in Pennsylvania.

INTERVIEWER: Now your father, he worked, he traveled, he hauled things for a cannery.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, he, during, from 1909 to 1912, he was a teamster for Shriver’s.

INTERVIEWER: OK. Tell me about that.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, he hauled cans from out at the canning factory, out on there where 140 crosses 27. There’s where the factory was. And he, and he lived here at the airport. And the farm’s right on Meadow Branch Road. Right there on the corner is where the farm was. Everything is torn down now. But that’s where he had to get up and get his horses ready, and get to Westminster.

INTERVIEWER: That was right where the airport is today.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. They, he helped to farm the airport. He didn’t do too much on the farm, but the airport was farmed by Shriver’s at that time. They had peas on it. One year, the peas was up two inches high and it snowed on em. Ha ha. But he had to get up at 4 o’clock in the morning, get his horses ready. Mom would make breakfast. He’d go back to the house and get breakfast. And then he’d hook up and leave for Westminster. And being picking time, when they had the migrant workers to pick beans, he had to take the 20 foot hay carriage. Take it down there, he had to be down there in time to have them in the field at 7 o’clock. So you know he got up early in the morning.

INTERVIEWER: So he took them.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. That’s the only way they could transport them, is on the hay carriage wagon.

INTERVIEWER: And where were they living? Where were they staying?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, they were down there at 27. There in that woods. They had shanties in there for them to live in. There were, the rise you know, to go to Manchester, and there in that, just a little piece of woods in there, yet. , Well that was below the canning part. There, that’s where he had to pick em up at it. Yeah.

INTERVIEWER: So he left here from your farm.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Out there at the airport, there at Meadow Branch Road. He had to go to Westminster. And go down there and pick them up and get them to the field.

INTERVIEWER: Now did he– he left from here initially.

EDWARD BACHMAN: No. They lived, they lived out there


EDWARD BACHMAN: The little log house was the last one standing out there along the airport.

INTERVIEWER: Oh. And that’s where you lived.

EDWARD BACHMAN: That’s where my mother and father lived when they was out there, right across from what used to be called Gilbert’s Inn. Right across, there was a little log house along the pike.

INTERVIEWER: So about how far– would that be right across from the airport, or–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, it was along the airport, along the airport, along the pike, yeah. Uh huh. Yeah. Oh, I don’t know. It might be a couple hundred yards from where the big farmhouse was at that time. But it was a big farm house sitting there on the corner of Meadow Branch Road at that time

INTERVIEWER: In ’97 there.

EDWARD BACHMAN: In fact, in the time that Pop worked out there, the name’s Smeltzer, they lived up on the house that’s still standing on the corner of Meadow Branch Road there. Yeah. there’s where he, he had to get his horses from.

INTERVIEWER: He delivered to different towns or something–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, he’d haul up here wheat, or anything that he had to haul. He was just like a trucker. He’d haul up here to Union Mill, to the homestead. He’d bring a load of wheat up sometimes. And then they had the canning factory there below the road, there at the bridge. He’d bring cans up there still to that canning factory drivers had. And then even hauled as far as Littlestown. They have one up in Littlestown that he hauled to. So he had to, he just delivered, just like a trucker. He even went as far Westminster, to New Windsor at times.

INTERVIEWER: Now you told me about the Homestead there. What did it have during the ’20s? uh–

EDWARD BACHMAN: During the ’20s.

INTERVIEWER: Yeah. It had a wheel or what?



EDWARD BACHMAN: Turbine. During the’ ’20s it was no water wheel there.

INTERVIEWER: Oh. OK. And what is a turbine?

EDWARD BACHMAN: It’s a, it’s a, just lets water go through, and it forms a horse power. Now a turbine is around 17 to 19 horse power. They deliver. A lot of mills had them in.

INTERVIEWER: Does it run off power then?


INTERVIEWER: Water power.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Water. By going down in em, why, it gets the power. I never saw any too close. , But that’s what they told me about you know. And uh. As far as the flour mills, Clem was up on the third floor roller mills. And then the flour came from the roller mill down in the siever that sieved the bran, milling on the flour part. And the flour had to pass a 200 mesh silk screen to get down to the flour bin, down to the next floor.

INTERVIEWER: And that made it very fine then?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. Uh-huh. The roller mills up above. There was two roller mills up on the top floor, because I remember, just as good as I was there. And that was back in ’28. Yeah.

INTERVIEWER: Now you said there was a cannery up on, along, above Shriver’s there, the homestead, or–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Right, right down below the bridge there. If you look down there you can still see the cement piers where the factory was sitting on in the meadow. There, right below the bridge there, where they put the new bridge in, is where–

INTERVIEWER: Is that above Shriver’s or north of Shriver’s, or down?

EDWARD BACHMAN: No, it’s, if you go from the Homestead down that road, why, it’s right below that house there in the meadow before you get to the bridge. It’s on the other side of the bridge still.

INTERVIEWER: OK. The homestead is on 97, right?


INTERVIEWER: OK. And so, It’s here. Is it this way up toward Pennsylvania —

EDWARD BACHMAN: it’s the road Pennsylvania. But it’s right, if you go on the bridge, you can look down and see the cement piers right below the bridge. And after they put the new bridge in, and then after that they tore the canning factory down.

INTERVIEWER: And they grew peas across the way there.

EDWARD BACHMAN: That way the farmers hauled peas in there. I don’t know where they hauled them at for that factory. But sometimes a lot of that was done by hand at that time. Same way with beans. You take it to peddle at daytime, and beans. Weinbrenner’s Canning Factory, in there. If you wanted to make a couple cents, you went out to the factory with a express wagon. And brought a bag or two beans into your place, and sat on the back porch and string em with a paring knife. That’s how they, Weinbrenner’s did a lot of their bean stringing.

INTERVIEWER: And where were the Weinbrenner’s?

EDWARD BACHMAN: They were in on Poplar Street.

INTERVIEWER: Is that in Hanover, then?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. Well, they had, down here along the Grand Valley Road, the Hanover Road, going toward Hanover, they had it on the– they had to get five or six farms.

INTERVIEWER: Now this, this canning company, what was the name of it again?

EDWARD BACHMAN: This was Weinbrenner’s. It’s everything toward–

INTERVIEWER: I mean next to Shriver’s. What was that? Remember the name? That may be the–

EDWARD BACHMAN: It’s Shriver’s.

INTERVIEWER: You lived next to them, right?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Down here. Or.

INTERVIEWER: Where the bridge is, cause that’s next to Shriver’s. That–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. That was Shriver’s Canning Factory there in Union Mill. Then they had one, they had a canning factory down on Manchester Road, too, where Pop, you know, Hall’s from. Here they get things in from the railroad– the cans. Came. By railroad. Well, then they had to I don’t know if they was in racks or what but then from there is where he had to haul em.

INTERVIEWER: Now they didn’t do all that by hand, when they came in, did they? I mean, did you say they had a machine, some kind of a machine that, what was it? What did you say it was? It was a machine that took care of the peas.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Oh. The pea winder. Pea winder.

INTERVIEWER: Now what was that like?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, it was a big, long machine. And it had like paddles in to hammer the peas out. And whole stalks went through this machine. And it hammered peas out. And then they’d roll down a canvas in bins. And then they’d box em up, and haul em to the factory. That’s how that worked. The machine they’d run with the tractor. And that hammered the pea pods open. And then they’d roll down. And then they’d take them to the factory that way. And every farmer, when his load was off, they had the boxes there, they’d weigh them on the scales. How many peas, how many pound of peas was in his load. And they’d send it on the truck and take it to the factory then.

INTERVIEWER: How did you, you get, you had 11 children. How did you, how did you? I have two children. I’m just wondering. How did you manage it? Did they help a lot on the farm?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, when they came home from school, each one had a chore. At that time you burned the cook stove. You filled the wood box. You go up and throw hay or straw out, whatever is needed in the barn to feed the cattle the next day. That’s how you kept them occupied. They didn’t go out here, and skateboard here on the road right after they got home from school. They had something to do. That’s how we kept them going. And they all grew up, and I, I don’t think any of them is crippled from it either. Now it’s child labor if you do something like that. Well, that’s the way. And then, of course, I got the later years here when I had a tractor, they’d come home. Mom, she wanted a tractor with a self-starter on. I was working in the shop. And uh. Kid’s would come home, she’d back up to the hoe. And they’d hook her up, and she’d hoe the field till I got home, and then we’d plant it. That’s how we worked together. The kids, they were big enough, you know, to hook up the tractor when she backed up to the equipment. And that’s how they done that. We worked together. The whole family worked together, you might as well say it. Then it would be, the bigger girls, they would stay in the house. And sometimes we ate supper before going out. Sometimes we ate it when we come back at 9 o’clock.

INTERVIEWER: So you stayed out that late?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Oh, Yeah. I was plowing corn at 10 o’clock some nights. I had lights on the tractor. Coming out of the factory and getting on the tractor was just like changing jobs. It just relaxed you. And, uh. So that’s later. Well, when they had the horses, then I had to lose some work to do the farming.

INTERVIEWER: Now you– in your retirement, you also made, used your skills for making, you have a wood shop, right? And you make, what kind of things have you made?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Anything at all people wanted. Tables, chairs, anything at all. If they wanted a cabinet, here’s one we made, just made a couple weeks, months ago.

INTERVIEWER: Is that right? And you made toys.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, when we built this piece of the house, we had it empty for a while. Then my wife and I made all them kitchen cabinets. Made them over here in the wash house. At that time, I didn’t have the shop set up like I had now. Yep.

INTERVIEWER: And where did your, let’s see how old is your youngest?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Debbie, let’s see she, she didn’t make the 40 yet.

INTERVIEWER: So what high school did she go to, or–

EDWARD BACHMAN: North Carroll. That’s where a lot of them finished. Well, they went to Manchester and Green Mount before they built North Carroll. But after they had everything closed up, why they went to Manchester or Green Mount. Then when they opened Hampstead, then they went to that school.

INTERVIEWER: The North Carroll High School.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah None of them, none of them went through college, and they all got good jobs.

INTERVIEWER: Pretty proud of them.

EDWARD BACHMAN: I’m proud of them all. Yeah.

INTERVIEWER: The– So you have a, you still work in your wood shop at all?

EDWARD BACHMAN: No. I gave it up because, you know, I didn’t want to be out there and nobody around. I didn’t mind working out there when somebody was around. Now since I got older, I just gave it up. Let the boy’s still work if they want to work in there. They still, they still use it, use it yet. Why, if I recall, he wants to make a pie safe, I don’t know if you ever knowed what a pie safe was.

INTERVIEWER: Describe it a little bit.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, it’s covered with tin instead of panels. It has tin in with holes punched in. Now mom had one in there in the cellar steps. And we sold it at the sale. What is his name, now? The auctioneer down here on Mayberry Road got it. And he come down here one day. And he said, where’s your records to the sale of who bought the stuff? I said well, it’s in this tin box, I said, back here. So he looked it up here. He found the name. He called him up. So he went down with a camera taking pictures of it. The book lays out there where he’s working out of. And the tin, he’s starting to punch the tin out himself. Knows how they have it floored, you know, and all. And he’s, he’s starting to get wood together. Like he said last evening, he called me, he said, he said with all my work, I ain’t got much time, he said, to get back to working on my pie safe.

INTERVIEWER: What were some other families around here? What were some of the names of the families that lived around here?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, the Garvey’s lived out here, and over where the butcher shop was Garvey’s. It was the Garvey family in this neighborhood. Well, when Eli Garvey commanded, they had, they owned the big farm back here. They had a family. And their family used to alternate and live on the farm back here. And then Bert, one of their boys, he owned the farm right out over the hill here. That a, the Stewart’s, they owned the farm down here. And then his dad owned the farm next to Malcolm. That was his brother, over here along Grand Valley Road. There was people by the name of Tony lived down here on this place, where they tore down. I remember down, and up here was [INAUDIBLE] the older people. But they weren’t up here too long after I was born. And then Barnhart’s lived here, Floyd Barnhart. And he was married to one of the Garvey’s girls. So it, it was pretty near a family of, family of the people living both sides of us. Yeah, the Stewart’s, they moved from down, from off of Sawmill Road, down in there. They moved up here. They bought this one. Rob [INAUDIBLE] is the one who built the barn down here. I know my dad, him and his brother, carried the stones and the mud to build that barn down, at $0.50 a day.

INTERVIEWER: $0.50 a day. How long ago was that? What did you figure? What year was that?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, that was a, I’d say it would be back in 1907, ’08, something like that. It was before they moved to Westminster. They built that barn. And all that down there was to mason, labor and all, was $38.00. Now you couldn’t get a block laid for that. Yeah. That’s what their wage was at that time.

INTERVIEWER: Do you? Uh. Now, your family, did anyone raise all beef cattle around here or at all?

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, uh, Stewart down here, he raised beef cattle. And he also had about 12 dairy cattle in the barn down here. He’d raise steer. He’d have about 16 to 20 at a time that he would feed up, and uh,

INTERVIEWER: Anyone raise dairy?

EDWARD BACHMAN: He had dairy cows, about 12, about 12 of them that they’d milk. And uh . And uh, his dad down below used to have beef cattle down there. And then Malcolm over, he had some cows, too, and beef cattle. But that’s mostly, they farmed for. Then Bixlers lived down here on the other farm. They had, they had cattle. They didn’t have beef cattle, they had mostly dairy. They done more milk

INTERVIEWER: Now, you wife’s first name is Pearl. And where did you meet Pearl.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Forest Fork. And the picnics around. They used to have picnics around down at church, pert near every Saturday night. And that’s how we got acquainted

INTERVIEWER: Uh-huh. And what church is around here now, too, you mentioned.

EDWARD BACHMAN: Well, Saint Bartholomew’s is right down here, across the line about a mile.

INTERVIEWER: Is that the one they built, rebuilt or–

EDWARD BACHMAN: Yeah. Well, yeah, they had to back in ’35. They had built a new church, and then they added to it since. And uh. On this side of the church there used to be a mill. [INAUDIBLE] Mill. That’s what burned, and burned the church down that time. And then they had to rebuild. But they never built up the old mill anymore. I told one of the boys who’d come up through, I said that field down here, I said, that used to be the dam to the mill. It shut down, and they got cattle in a pasture.

INTERVIEWER: Well, we’re just about at the end of the tape here. And I just want to thank you for doing this for Carroll County Remembers, Mr. Bachman. And this is John Witiak and Mr. Edward Bachman, signing off on May 2, 2008, with Mr Bachman at 92 years old, who’s in this house for all his life. Thank you.