Henryton Sanatorium & Nursing School Dedication
The Carroll County NAACP Branch No. 7014 held a dedication ceremony for the Henryton State Sanatorium and Henryton School of Practical Nursing on Saturday, May 14, 2016. State officials, former nurses, students and the public turned out for the dedication ceremony. The Keynote speaker for the event was Ms. Betty Lee a former student of Henryton Nursing School. The dedication ceremony was followed by a reception at the Colored School House Museum in Sykesville.
The Henryton Center opened in 1923 as Maryland’s first tuberculosis sanatorium for African Americans. Treatment at the time sought to provide fresh air, good food and sanitary living conditions. In 1963 the sanatorium became Henryton State Hospital Center, serving developmentally disabled adults. The facility closed in 1985.